10 Tips for Using Interactive Whiteboards (SMART and Promethean)
in your Special Education Classroom
- Keep instructions clear and pages clutter-free: it is always better to have more pages, with less information on each page, in an ActivInspire Flipchart or SMART Notebook file than to have too much information on one page
- Use large graphics and sounds to engage students by making lessons interesting and interactive.
- Include movies in your Flipcharts or Notebook files to aid in comprehension and to engage your students. You can download educational videos from Learn 360.
- Use sound: the sound recorder in ActivInspire or insert sound in SMART Notebook to provide students with verbal directions for auditory learners.
- Select appropriate font and sizes. The recommended minimum font size is 24pt.
- Use colour and the highlighter tool for students who need visual support.
- Use images available in ActivInspire’s Resource Browser or SMART’s Gallery to teach students mathematical concepts.
- Take advantage of Board Space: Let the students write big (you can always resize their writing if needed).